Within the Tresta, you can add as many phone numbers as you’d like for use within your phone system. As mentioned in another article, each Tresta account includes one local or toll-free number, or you can choose to use a phone number that’s already established with your business.
In this article, you will learn:
- How to add a new phone number;
- How to edit a phone number;
- How to delete a phone number;
- Instances where it’s handy to have more than one number.
Phone numbers play a pivotal role in your Tresta cloud phone system, so let’s get started.
If you’re a system administrator, log into the web app and click on the Settings tab at the top of the page. Next, click on the Phone Numbers tab within the System Components.
How to Add a Phone Number
When a system administrator is on the Phone Numbers page, they can a new phone number by doing the following:
- Click on the red button in the upper right corner of the Phone Numbers page that’s labeled +Add Phone Number. Doing so will open a new page. It’s here you can select your new local or toll-free phone number.
- Ensure the I want to add a new phone number option is selected. This is selected by default, but it never hurts to check.
- Under the Phone Number Type section, select if the phone number is Local or Toll-Free. Your options change dependent on your selection.
- If you want a local number, select the Country, State and City for the phone number.
- If you want a toll-free number, select the prefix you want for your number.
- Select a phone number from the options provided in the Available Numbers section. All of your options are visible on grey buttons. Click on the phone numbers you want to add to your system; you may select as many as you’d like.
- Review your numbers in the Selected Numbers section. This space allows you to review the numbers you’ve selected, and also displays the additional cost for each phone number.
- If you’re happy, click the red Add Selected button in the top, right corner of the page. When clicked, you are taken back to the Phone Numbers page where your new phone numbers are now visible.
How to Edit a Phone Number
When a system administrator is on the Phone Numbers page, they can edit a phone number by doing the following:
- Locate the phone number you want to edit.
- Click on the Edit icon (a pencil inside a square). Doing this will open the Edit Phone Number page.
- Edit the name of the phone number. Once you’re on the Edit Phone Number page, you can rename the phone number in the Name field. We recommend you name your phone numbers if you have more than one to distinguish them.
For example, ABC Company has added a number for a new employee. They named the new number “Greg Wednesday Direct” so they know to whom the number belongs.
- Turn on call recording if needed. Below the Name field, there’s a button to turn call recording for that phone number on or off. You will know call recording is on when that button is red. If you do want call recording on, you must also do the following:
- Select a Notification. This is a message your callers hear that alerts them that the call is being recorded. Whether you use our default recording or one of your own, we highly recommend you make your callers aware that you’re recording your calls.
- Select the Subscribers. Add any user you want to receive the call recordings for this phone number.
- Select whether outbound calls are permitted on that number. Click on the Outbound Calling tab near the top of the Edit Phone Number page. It’s here you can toggle outbound calling on and off, and designate who has the ability to make outbound calls from that number.
- Once you’re satisfied, click the Save button in the top right corner. When you click the Save button, you are taken back out to the main Phone Numbers page. Your edits to the phone number should appear immediately.
How to Delete a Phone Number
When a system administrator is on the Phone Numbers page, they can delete a phone number by doing the following:
- Locate the phone number that needs to be deleted. Be mindful that you’re deleting the correct phone number as this step cannot be undone.
- Click on the trash bin icon. Once clicked, a pop up will appear asking if you’re are sure you want to delete the selected phone number. Either click on the red button labeled Delete Phone Number, or select the gray Cancel button.
We'll hang onto your number for 60 days in the event that you would like to add it back to your account. However, after that time it may no longer be available to add back.
Why might I need more than one phone number?
There are many ways to configure your Tresta cloud phone system, but there are situations that call for the need of additional phone numbers. Tresta allows you to add as many numbers as you’d like. The following are a few scenarios in which additional phone numbers would be useful:
- You want each user to have a direct line;
- You want a user group to have a direct line;
- You want to track calls that come in from an ad.